"People facing polluted environment and indifference from the authorities can come to our consultation center and share their problems anytime. Today, we hope to show more of Zenica's citizens how to protect themselves against pollution and where to seek help to change the situation," says Samir Lemes, president of Eko Forum Zenica.
Visitors can attend several seminars held by experts from Eko Forum Zenica and Czech NGO Arnika. Alternative report with a title "Environmental Democracy: Limping Along" will be presented by Samir Lemeš as a result of a common project. Independent lawyer Djana Alibegović will advise people on using legal tools to protect themselves against pollution and protect their human rights. Martin Skalsky, head of Citizens Support Centre of Arnika (CZ), will highlight the risks of domestic food production in industrially polluted areas. All speakers will also be available for individual consultations.
The programme will be accompanied by a screening of a documentary movie Exposure: The Factory about Ostrava, a heavily industrial Czech city going through similar struggles as Zenica. It was filmed, produced and directed by Michael Simkin (WildPictures Limited) in 2011. This film will be screened on 15:00 and 17:00, short discussion will follow.
In Metalurg City Centar's lobby, Czech photographer and graphic designer under the name of Adelina Grafika will open a new exhibition of more than 40 photos from Zenica. The scenes reflect the life of the people in this city, their strength and struggle as well as their temperament and joyful moments. "I was impressed by stories of Zenica's people and strong moments I captured in the elementary school in the vicinity of the factory. In my work, I would like to show how the close connection of the people to the steelworks affects every moment of their life, and literally every breath they take," explains Adelina Grafika.
Aarhus Centre Zenica Open Doors Day
Thursday 19 November 2015
- 12.00 opening and press conference, Eko forum Zenica office
- 12.30 opening of Adelina Grafika: Zenica photo exhibition, lobby
- 13.00 presentation of the Alternative Report, Samir Lemes, president, Eko Forum Zenica office
- 14.00 Legal tools, Djana Alibegovic, independent lawyer, Eko Forum Zenica office
- 15.00 screening of documentary Exposure: The Factory, Michael Simkin, WildPictures Limited
- 16.00 Domestic food production and pollution, Martin Skalský, Arnika
- 17.00 screening of documentary Exposure: The Factory, Michael Simkin, WildPictures Limited